Sunday, December 29, 2013

tax write off

This year is almost over.  If you wish to get a tax write off, you may donate to a charity organization.  If you wish to donate to our charity, you can do so through paypal:  Our tax id is:  01-0975880.  If you do donate to our charity, we will thank you in advance.  Have a wonderful and safe New Years!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Donny went to his new home

Donny, the alpaca, went to his new home yesterday.  Congratulations to Frank Colletta and his family.


May your holidays be wonderful and safe.

Happy Holidays from all of us here at Galloping Angels Rescue and Sanctuary!!!!

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cupcake has arrived!

Cupcake arrived about an hour and a half ago.  Cupcake appears to be a great potential driving prospect.  She has some blue roaning in her though she is not a true blue roan.  We are planning on putting her up for adoption within the next couple of weeks if we don't train her to drive.  If we teach her to drive, we will postpone the adoption until after she is trained.

Sunday, August 4, 2013


Cupcake is a new mini to the rescue/sanctuary.  She will be here later on this week.  This picture of her was from the ad that was posted.
     We have been told that she is about 4 years old.  She is not a show mini nor is she broodmare quality.  We still don't have much information on her at this time, but we will update the information when it becomes available.

Friday, July 26, 2013

update on Chiclet

Chiclet is doing well on a third feeding.  She gets 2 quarts (1 qt alfafa pellets and 1 qt stable mix) with a medium sized bucket of alfalfa leaves.  During her mid day meal (lunch), she is put in a pen by herself and she eats at her own pace.
     When she gets close to finishing her lunch, she steps into the feeder with both front feet and finishes.  When she is done, she walks over to the gate and waits to be let out.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

July 23, 2013

Today is a typical day here at the sanctuary.  Clean up after the animals, clean water containers, and so on.

We have been in search of some land that can be donated or that we can buy that isn't going to cost us an arm and a leg.  So far, our primary focus of search has been in the Corning, CA, Oroville, CA, and some in the Orland, CA area.  We have looked "some" in the Tulelake, CA, Redding, CA, Red Bluff, CA, Bieber, CA and Klamath Falls, OR Silver Springs, NV areas.  We are open to other areas.  It just takes a lot of time searching. The ranch owner says he thinks this ranch will be sold to developers within the next few months.

Sunday, July 21, 2013


A few days ago, Chiclet had dropped some weight suddenly.  We didn't quite know at first why she dropped the weight.  She had appeared to be eating well.  We checked her for dehydration and she wasn't dehydrated.  So we thought we would separate her and give her some straight pellet food.  For every bite of food she was picking up, she was dropping at least half of the food.
     So we concluded  since she was in the pen with other horses (the older ones), she would drop her food and they would eat it and so she wasn't getting enough to eat.  She is now separated from the other horses when she eats her main meals and she is being given alfalfa leaves and a combination of alfalfa and stable mix grain.
     She is now doing sooooo much better.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

fences and gates

Today, we spent a great deal of the day mending fences and fixing gates that were in need of repair.  We still need to do some more work on the fences and a couple of gates, but we need to go out and get some material before we can finish off the work.

Monday, July 15, 2013


We spent a great deal of our day with the horses.  Of course, they thought they needed treats instead of their regular hay.
     We couldn't let them out on the pasture grass because we have to let it grow some.  It has gotten pretty short.  The bermuda grass is getting thicker and teft grass has gotten a little thin.  We may have to do some more teft hay reseeding.  We would like to wait until next year to do that though.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Trixter ate his psyllium

This morning, we withheld Trixter's food until he ate his psyllium.  It took about 4 hours before he ate it.  After he finished it, he got his food.  He is like a little child that doesn't like his peas.
     We had called the vets yesterday, twice looking for ideas on how to get him to eat his psyllium.  He throws his food onto the dirt before he will eat it and we think he has been eating sand and dirt along with it.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

plywood donation needed

We need to cover the floor of a 27 x 16 pen with plywood.  We have a 2 year old that pushes his food onto the dirt and we believe he is eating dirt with his food which is causing an absorption problem.  We need the plywood to keep him off the dirt.  If we cannot put OSB down because he will eat the OSB.  He doesn't appear to eat the plywood.

If you have old plywood you would like to donate, it would greatly be appreciated.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Opal update

We took Opal's temperature around 5pm.  It was running 102.5 degrees.  We have a call into the vets.  She may have pneumonia.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Opal headed to the vet yesterday

Yesterday, we went to feed Opal her dinner and she refused to eat.  She stuck her nose on the food and then walked away from it.  We knew something was wrong but couldn't figure out what it was and so we called the vet.  She asked me about everything that was going on and so we told the vet.  She determined at that moment, Opal was choking and so we needed to get her in ASAP.  The vet said with the heat, she was possibly dehydrated as well.
     We took her in and the vet tubed her.  She tried blowing air in without success.  So she started flushing her esophagus with water.  That wasn't working and so the vet decided to give her some meds to relax her esophagus.  The vet flushed out a dark colored firm textured item about the size of a quarter.  Nothing was coming to mind what she had swallowed that was that large.
     We got her home and then it dawned on us that the neighbor was talking about his Cranapple tree was not bearing much fruit.  While the image of the object was still fresh in our mind, we walked over to see if we could find a Cranapple.  Sure enough.  It was the same size and color!  We called the vet back and told her what it was.
     Opal didn't get any dinner last night because she was given medication to relax her esophagus.  She is being given a soft food (wet whole feed grain) for the next few days for her esophagus to heal.
     Opal has been doing well today.  She has been resting most of the day.   We have taken her to the round pen a couple of times today so she could run a little.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 26, 2013

We went to go do some stuff on the other part of the ranch and we came back and a horse had gotten into the house and decided our counters were too cluttered and so they cleaned the counters off and put everything on the floor.  Later during the day when we were outside cleaning up the yard, another horse decided to sneak into the house and found the grapes that was on it and decided they were nice and tasty and then tried to steal them.

Friday, June 21, 2013

The horse with the bad eye

We've been working hard trying to get things done for the horse with the bad eye.  We've been campaigning on facebook without success.

This morning, we wrote pretty harsh to the facebook friends.  One friend thought we were trying to blackmail them into giving donations.  This was not at all true!  We were merely stating the fact that if the horse did not get surgery, she was going to have to be euthanized.  The eye does appear to be getting worse and it's not fair to her to stay like she is.
     This facebook friend did some research and made a couple of calls.  He found a vet down in Santa Cruz that we tried to contact but the office was already closed.
     When I scanned the Santa Cruz vet's website, the vet appeared to be heavy into what appeared to be Transfer Factor Plus.  We have seen both positive and negative with Transfer Factor Plus.  We will contact the vet's office tomorrow morning to see what all they offer.
The older picture is on the bottom.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Callita update

We never got the funding for Callita's eye surgery.  But we did have a Herbology Doctor give us a couple of jars of Black Salve.  We are currently on the second jar.

It "appears" to have stopped the growth of the tumor.  It doesn't look like it has shrank but because it is such a large mass, it may take time to show any shrinkage if it is going to shrink. Since we have been using the Black Salve, their has only been one incident of bleeding and that was an area that we hadn't put the Black Salve on.

We would like to get some donations to get some more of the Black Salve.  The cost is between $10 and $15 per jar.

If you wish to donate, we accept donations through paypal:  Thank you in advance for your kind donations.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

update on the horse with the swollen eye

When this horse first came to us, we were told that the horse possibly had upper eyelid cancer.

The first few days she was here, she had a heavy and thick yellow discharge draining from her eye like it was infected.  I did some research on it.  I began to wonder if it wasn't an out of control fungal infection.  The information I read on it, stated fungal infections take at least 35 days to clear up using a topical ointment.
     We took her to the vets.  The vet said she had to have her eye removed so it would give her a year to year and a half quality life.  While we were campaigning for donations to have the surgery done, the vet gave me some topical (antibacterial/antifungal) ointment to use.  The vet had major doubts it would work but it didn't hurt to try.
     The following day after I applied the ointment, her lower eye lids swelling was reduced drastically.  That evening, the swelling was back.  I started applying the ointment like I had done the first day.  I have noticed a slow reduction in the swelling in both upper and lower lids since.  Last night, the lids were no longer fused together.  I could see her eye clearly.  It is opaque.  Whether she can see light and shadows is unclear at this time but she is considered blind in that eye according to medical standards.  She is able to move both her upper and lower lids slightly at this time.  The movement will possibly increase as the swelling goes down even more.
     She will still have to have her eye removed, unfortunately.  There is a strange phenomenon called sympathy.  (When one eye goes bad, the other will generally follow.)  And so in order to save the sight in the good eye, the bad eye will have to be removed.
     We still need donations for her surgery.  Paypal:

Thanks in advance for your donations.

Friday, May 3, 2013

The horse that thinks it's a dog

I went out for a walk this morning and when I came back, I had seen the tail end of an animal under the porch.  I looked under it and saw this picture.
I attempted to lure him out by letting him smell and taste a small amount of alfalfa.  It became obvious very quickly that he had no clue how to use his back up gear.  He was stuck!  So with some help from another person, we managed to get him out.  He was laying on the netting that was underneath the porch and so that is how we managed to drag him out.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Donations urgently needed for horse eye surgery

We brought in a mini horse a little over a week ago.  We took her to the vets.  She has upper eyelid cancer and needs to have her eye removed so she can have another year to a year and a half quality life.  The surgery will cost around $1000.  Please donate to her cause.  She would really love to get rid of the ugly mass that bothers her.  Donations can be made through paypal:  Tax id:  01-0975880

Sunday, March 31, 2013


Everyone at Galloping Angels Rescue and Sanctuary is wishing everyone a wonderful and Happy Easter.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

the new arrival, Frankie

We've been quite busy with the new gelding, Frankie the last few days.  We measured him and he is about 38 inches tall.  When he arrived, he had horrible looking feet.  They were trimmed yesterday and to our surprise, they were in good shape.  Frankie also appears to be ridable.  We had a teen get on him and he responded to her commands.
Today, Frankie got to get out of the pen and spend time with the other minis.  He seemed to have liked that a lot.

We are looking forward to learning more about this new little boy.