Saturday, June 29, 2013

Opal headed to the vet yesterday

Yesterday, we went to feed Opal her dinner and she refused to eat.  She stuck her nose on the food and then walked away from it.  We knew something was wrong but couldn't figure out what it was and so we called the vet.  She asked me about everything that was going on and so we told the vet.  She determined at that moment, Opal was choking and so we needed to get her in ASAP.  The vet said with the heat, she was possibly dehydrated as well.
     We took her in and the vet tubed her.  She tried blowing air in without success.  So she started flushing her esophagus with water.  That wasn't working and so the vet decided to give her some meds to relax her esophagus.  The vet flushed out a dark colored firm textured item about the size of a quarter.  Nothing was coming to mind what she had swallowed that was that large.
     We got her home and then it dawned on us that the neighbor was talking about his Cranapple tree was not bearing much fruit.  While the image of the object was still fresh in our mind, we walked over to see if we could find a Cranapple.  Sure enough.  It was the same size and color!  We called the vet back and told her what it was.
     Opal didn't get any dinner last night because she was given medication to relax her esophagus.  She is being given a soft food (wet whole feed grain) for the next few days for her esophagus to heal.
     Opal has been doing well today.  She has been resting most of the day.   We have taken her to the round pen a couple of times today so she could run a little.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 26, 2013

We went to go do some stuff on the other part of the ranch and we came back and a horse had gotten into the house and decided our counters were too cluttered and so they cleaned the counters off and put everything on the floor.  Later during the day when we were outside cleaning up the yard, another horse decided to sneak into the house and found the grapes that was on it and decided they were nice and tasty and then tried to steal them.

Friday, June 21, 2013

The horse with the bad eye

We've been working hard trying to get things done for the horse with the bad eye.  We've been campaigning on facebook without success.

This morning, we wrote pretty harsh to the facebook friends.  One friend thought we were trying to blackmail them into giving donations.  This was not at all true!  We were merely stating the fact that if the horse did not get surgery, she was going to have to be euthanized.  The eye does appear to be getting worse and it's not fair to her to stay like she is.
     This facebook friend did some research and made a couple of calls.  He found a vet down in Santa Cruz that we tried to contact but the office was already closed.
     When I scanned the Santa Cruz vet's website, the vet appeared to be heavy into what appeared to be Transfer Factor Plus.  We have seen both positive and negative with Transfer Factor Plus.  We will contact the vet's office tomorrow morning to see what all they offer.
The older picture is on the bottom.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Callita update

We never got the funding for Callita's eye surgery.  But we did have a Herbology Doctor give us a couple of jars of Black Salve.  We are currently on the second jar.

It "appears" to have stopped the growth of the tumor.  It doesn't look like it has shrank but because it is such a large mass, it may take time to show any shrinkage if it is going to shrink. Since we have been using the Black Salve, their has only been one incident of bleeding and that was an area that we hadn't put the Black Salve on.

We would like to get some donations to get some more of the Black Salve.  The cost is between $10 and $15 per jar.

If you wish to donate, we accept donations through paypal:  Thank you in advance for your kind donations.